Remaking the Garden – Day 1

The front lawn of the main house has a triangle shaped yard, bordered on either side by the driveway which loops around the back of the house. Down near the tip of the triangle is the garden shed and a nice (although small) garden with a mature grape vine, some berries, and flowers. It’s fenced in to prevent deer from eating the plants. We have decided to remake the front yard and the first step is removing this small fenced garden and plowing the lower portion of this triangle. We have finalized our future plans yet although we’re thinking an English style mostly edible garden, possibly with terracing rather than having the sloping grade as it is now.

Demo’ing the existing garden proved to be hard work. The person who built it could have been using it as a small prison. For dinosaurs. It’s had ten foot posts in two foot deep holes, spread about six feet apart all the way around. These were wrapped in a fairly heavy gauge wire fencing material which was secured using the largest brads I’ve ever seen. They were like U-shaped 16 penny nails. But even once the fencing was removed I would also have to take apart the planter beds which were made out creosote telephone pole sections… pinned into the ground using three feet of rebar. Serious overkill for a flower garden.

The garden before I started

I removed all of the fencing by hand. Initially I was going very slowly and removing the brads in order to preserve the fencing material. This was taking WAY too long and was extremely tiring and tedious. I changed tact and started snipping the fencing material at the poles. It will still be useful in the future, albeit for smaller jobs.

Once the fencing was moved and the poles were taken down, I fired up the tractor to remove those giant, heavy creosote telephone poles. I used the tractor bucket to lift and pry them and once I get one corner off the ground a bit I would wrap a chain under it, connect the chain to the tractor, and drag it away from the garden area. This was tough work and required some careful finessing with the tractor. Just before the sun went down I had all of the poles removed and pulled over to a storage area.

Tomorrow I will plow this garden under (except the grape vine; that stays) as well as about half of the front yard. Then on to the new hayfield.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.